Now that we have nearly 40 sponsors on board and a new bill number, what do we do next?
Our next step is to get a hearing in front of the Joint Committee on Labor and Workforce Development. We’re working behind-the-scenes to get a date for this hearing, and we expect a date in March or April.
Once we pass this committee as we did last session, we expect to move onto a First, Second, and Third Reading in the House — where we stopped last session before the session ended. Passing this step is a major accomplishment in getting this bill into law, but then the bill moves onto the same three readings in the Senate before it gets enacted.
So What Do We Do in the Meantime?
We have two major goals throughout this process that we can work on right now:
- We educate our legislators about unintended consequences of the bill. Thinking through making a bill into law involves thinking about as many potentially negative consequences as possible. Before creating a law, legislators have to consider consequences that we might not have considered. To alleviate some of their concerns, we suggest sending this flyer via e-mail to your legislators, particularly if your legislators are Republican.
- We keep this bill on top-of-mind for our legislators. The majority of the legislature will likely support this bill, but this bill may simply not be a priority. Our goal is to make the bill a priority. How do we do that?
- We contact our legislators and tell them we want House Bill 1766, the Healthy Workplace Bill, to become law.
- If you’ve done that, send our sponsors a thank-you note using our E-Z tool.
- If you’ve done that, continue to spread the word about the bill so that others can do the same. The more people we have who contact their legislators, the quicker we get this bill passed into law.
Keep in mind that most bills take years (multiple two-year sessions) to pass, and we’ve come a long way considering that thousands of bills get filed each session, but only a few hundred even make it to the House. We’re making great progress thanks to your help.