The anti-bullying Healthy Workplace Bill has made it to an historic level: the Third Reading in the House of Representatives. With half a year left in the legislative session, we’re hopeful that 2016 is our year to make workplace bullying illegal in Massachusetts.
Why we’re poised to pass the Healthy Workplace Bill in 2016
State House support. Nearly 1/3 of the entire State Legislature co-sponsors the Healthy Workplace Bill. Here’s how the numbers of legislative sponsors have grown since we first introduced the bill:
1 in the 2009-10 session
13 in the 2011-12 session
39 in the 2013-14 session
58 in the 2015-16 session
Organizational support. We have 16 organizational supporters, from the Massachusetts Teachers Association to longtime supporter SEIU NAGE Local 282, whose lobbyists have been instrumental in moving the bill forward. We’re currently working on a mailing to get Democratic and Republican Town Committees on board and spreading the word.
How we’ll pass the bill in 2016
We expect the Healthy Workplace Bill (H. 1771) to go to a floor vote in the House in January or February. So we need to keep the pressure on our State Reps to support the bill.
- Choose from one of two template letters to email to your rep and modify it or write your own letter asking your rep to support the Healthy Workplace Bill, H. 1771.
- Use this link to find your State Rep’s email address (listed as the “House” legislator).
Spread the word about the bill to family, friends, and colleagues so we can help combat workplace bullying.
2016 just might be our year for holding workplace bullies accountable through law in Massachusetts. Here are three resolutions for standing up to workplace bullies in the new year:
- I want to ask my legislators to pass the Healthy Workplace Bill. We expect the Healthy Workplace Bill (H. 1771) to go to a floor vote in the House in early 2016. It’s important to let legislators know you support the bill before that happens:
Choose from one of two template letters to email to your rep and modify it or write your own letter asking your rep to support the Healthy Workplace Bill, H. 1771.
Then use this link to find your State Rep’s email address (listed as the “House” legislator) and email your State Rep.
- I want to plan an event in my city or town to educate people on what workplace bullying is. Anti-workplace bullying efforts will only turn into a movement when advocates feel empowered to become leaders. Plan an art display, organize a meeting in your home, start a clever social media campaign, or educate a group about workplace bullying. Identify your skill set or connection to a unique group of people and run with your idea on how you can progress the anti-workplace bullying movement.
- I want to spread the word about the Healthy Workplace Bill to family, friends, and colleagues so we can help combat workplace bullying. Share Facebook posts, tweets, these blog posts, or our website URL with your contacts and pass out fact sheets. The more we spread the word, the faster we’ll get the bill passed.