By February 10, all committees must make decision on the bills in their committees. So we have nearly two months to continue to ask these legislators to move the workplace anti-bullying Healthy Workplace Bill favorably out of the Joint Committee on Labor and Workforce Development:
- Our state reps to ask in writing Rep. Paul Brodeur
- Our state senators to ask in writing Senator Jason Lewis to do the same.
The last thing we want is for the committee to not move the bill forward because business owners’ voices were louder. Then we have until the summer to move this bill through the Senate and House. (We’ll need your help then, too. More about that later.)
Here’s our game plan:
- At all those holiday parties, holiday events, and New Year’s Eve parties, take advantage of the time to spread the word about the bill and specifically ask people to ask their state legislators to write to Rep. Brodeur or Senator Lewis to move the bill forward.
- Forward this message to family, friends, and colleagues, and share this post on Facebook and Twitter.
- Email us at email@example.com with your legislators’ response (even no response). Soon we’ll publicize who’s NOT supported this bill as a way to sway voter opinion and to urge legislators to take action (remember: legislators want to win their next election and want your vote. Post on social media your legislator support or lack of it based on the actions of your legislators on this bill.)
If you haven’t yet reached out to your legislators, please do so before February 10:
- Email your legislators. Use this easy tool to send your letter.
- Call your legislator’s office to make sure they received your email. This step is important. Legislators receive so many emails, and many get buried in their email boxes. Call to make sure they received it and ask them again to ask the legislator that you request he or she write a letter to Rep. Paul Brodeur or Senator Jason Lewis asking for Senate Bill 1013 to move forward.
- Repeat the process for the second legislator.
We thank you for your support. Rep. Brodeur’s staff reported that they get the most calls in support of this bill — thanks to your action.
The Joint Committee on Labor and Workforce Development heard our testimony in support of Senate Bill 1013, the Healthy Workplace Bill, on April 4. Now it’s time to urge them to move it forward.
We ask you to call these four committee leaders even if you’ve called them before. Tell the person who answers the phone:
“I’m calling to support Senate Bill 1013, an act addressing workplace bullying, mobbing, and harassment, without regard to protected class. Can you ask the legislator to read Senate Bill 1013 favorably out of committee?”
They will ask your name and address and thank you for calling.
Here are the four committee leaders:
Senator Jason Lewis: 617-722-1206
Senator Pat Jehlen: 617-722-1578
Rep. Paul Brodeur: 617-722-2013
Rep. Tricia Farley-Bouvier: 617-722-2240
It’s that simple!
Since the two committee heads represent the town of Melrose, and legislators care about their constituents’ views to count on future votes, forward this message onto anyone who lives in Melrose.
Everyone in Massachusetts can call these leaders, too. Every call matters.